Pre and Post Workout Food and Drinks
AdvoCare Post Workout Recovery Drink
After looking online at recipes that complement the 24 Day Challenge I ran across an article that I thought was very good for pre and post workout foods. The article was by Ridz Buk on a site called, Fitness Republic. It was more of an infographic than article. Here was the info graphic.
See full post here…
I thought the infographic had some great points about different ideas for pre and post workout foods. I also agree with the water part. So to recap…
- So before workout make sure and give yourself some time and don’t eat right before you workout.
- Don’t eat too much fiber. This can be hard during “Cleanse Phase” but remember we are also moving the toxins through our system.
- Don’t eat the bad carbs that will make you crash after your workout.
Post workout it’s important to
- eat a meal right after working out
- Don’t reward yourself with a high calorie or high fat treat
- Keep your metabolism high and running with 3 small meals and 2 snacks
- Don’t skip the post workout meal.
In terms of eating right after workout, Brad Sly a nutritionist and certified personal trainer who writes for breakingmuscle.com
Ingesting carbohydrates after training is critical in replenishing glycogen stores and initiating muscle glycogen synthesis. If we don’t replenish these stores an athlete’s training performance can be compromised in future sessions.
Muscle protein is broken down due to high intensity or prolonged exercise. This makes recovery nutrition important in helping to rebuild. Once the recovery phase begins the catabolic processes reduce while anabolic processes increase and continue on for at least 24 hours after training. The ingestion of essential amino acids from quality protein sources has been shown to help with the muscle-building process.
More often than not, we don’t have the time or available foods to get that critical post workout recovery meal that we need. Fortunately AdvoCare has a perfectly formulated post workout recovery sports drink.
According to the AdvoCare site:
Post-Workout Recovery Sports Drink contains more than 30 vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that support the muscles’ metabolic processes in recovery and helps minimize occasional soreness after workouts. Post-Workout Recovery combines the muscle-supporting nutrition used by hundreds of professional and world-class athletes across the United States. Post-Workout Recovery helps enhance physical performance and endurance while supplying essential components for muscle repair and gain during and after physical activity. The unique blend of high-quality protein combined with glucose polymers and other carbohydrates, gives the body energy and structural support.
Post-Workout Recovery also contains branched-chain amino acids to support muscle recovery, growth and endurance. Finally, the antioxidants present in this advanced sports drink help the body ward off free radicals that are commonly produced as a result of exercise.
The Post Workout Recovery Drink is key for people who want to:
- minimize the soreness experienced after exercising
- looking for better muscle recovery
- enhance their current exercise or weight lifting program
- gain lean muscle mass
- For ages 12 and older.
- Blend, shake or briskly stir contents of one pouch into 10 fluid ounces of water or the beverage of your choice.
- For short-term recovery, consume within one hour following a workout.
- For long-term recovery, consume in the evening.
- For additional benefit, consume Post-Workout Recovery Sports Drink within one hour before a workout.
Soy protein powder, branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), chromium, casein (modified), medium-chain triglycerides, creatine, gamma-oryzanol, vanadium (vanadyl sulfate), calcium, magnesium, zinc, sodium, potassium, eleuthero root, carbohydrates
If the Pros use Post Workout Recovery It’s good enough for us!
This isn’t to say that food is not a great option post workout. If your prepared and are able to get the right foods together, go for it, just make sure you eat during that optimal 30-40 min post workout time and your getting the correct carb to protein ratio!
Another great perk of the Post Workout Recovery Drink is that it is third party tested by Informed Choice and this drink is tested for all banned substances so you or your athlete can be assured you are getting quality non harmful ingredients that will boost your sports performance recovery.
I personally love the chocolate but it also comes in vanilla. Although they no longer sell the pouches, a canister is fine and I just put the powder in the bottom of my shaker bottle which you can find pretty easy. Or just put a scoop of powder in a small baggie, add water, and your set!
I also love this drink on crushed ice! Yum!!